Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 38 Visiting Santa's rides: A day at the reindeer's farm

There are several must-do things in Lapland, while one of them is riding the husky-pulled sleighs, the other is visiting the infamous reindeer's farm and maybe get a reindeer-pulled sleigh-ride. If you are reading my entries from yesterday, you will know that I have already done the first one, so today, we did the later two. And oh man, the experience was INCREDIBLE!

So there we were, waking up early in the morning (as they say, the earliest worm catches the fattest worm), and headed to a reindeer's farm. It was cold but we, at least I, did not mind at all because I was about to see one of the most amazing creatures here in Lapland.

We got to the reindeer's farm at around 10 am, and were greeted by a genuine reindeer's herder, Johanna. She wore very pretty nordic traditional clothes which she later explained that she sew the entire outfit on his own and different tribes have different patterns of clothing.

We were first introduced to a reindeer. My first impression of reindeers is that they are wild animals and have different personalities. That reindeer we were introduced to was very reluctant to us stroking him.

(Photo: But Johanna talked to him and smoothed him down. Still, he was moving around when I took this photo with him!)

And then, we headed to the reindeer's sleighs. There were only 1 reindeer pulling a sleigh with 2 people in, unlike 8 huskies to one sleigh in the husky-sled. I have to say, I like the husky sleighs better than the reindeer's sleighs, probably because we cannot personally drive them, but there is a professional driver driving for us (so it took away the fun).

(Photo: Still, it was great fun being a passenger, and watching the reindeers run.)

After the ride, we tried feeding other reindeers. Surprisingly, they are actually quite reluctant to take our food, not sure if they are just not greedy or they are scared of us.

(Photo: hehe, but this small one is quite eager to eat from my hand!)

(Photo: And I tricked this one to come to me although I don't have any food in my hand. haha, tricked you!)

Afterwards, we went to Johanna's cottage, warmed up, had some coffee and pastries in front of a real wood-lit fire. Johanna said that the cottage is really old, her great great grandparents has once lived there!
(Photo: me and the fireplace, it is very very warm! It warmed up the entire room!)

While warming up, Johanna shared some of the traditions and customs of raising reindeers.

1. Reindeers have summer breaks! In summer, when there is no snow and no sleighs to pull, Johanna will let these reindeers go free into the forest and let them breed and have their summer holidays!

2. When winter comes, actually before winter comes, Johanna will go deep into the forest and go search for them! Each reindeer's ear has a unique marking that symbolizes that it is owned by someone.
(Photo: see the ears?)

3. Reindeers' antlers fall off by themselves and they grow on their own. But sometimes, reindeer herder needs to cut them off so that it is easier to work with the reindeers.
(Photo: this is a huge antler!)

oh and guess what, I got a reindeer's driving license! (Photo: Me and Johanna and my driving license! She said that next time we come, if it is summer, then we can help with rounding up the reindeers with her!)

(Photo: I know I know, this is such a touristy gimmick, but I love it!)

I had such a great time in the farm! And I learnt so much about being a reindeer herder as well! I think life is really simple for Johanna or any other herder, you train the reindeers, you take care of the reindeers. It is quite a hard life, but I think Johanna loves her work.

(Photo: Thanks so much!)

No comments:

Post a Comment