Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 50 Finland works well in snow

Finland works perfectly well in snow and in cold. I remember a Fin once told me that maybe Finland is what Finland is under this type of harsh temperature. Everything runs smoothly here, buses are on time, people are on time ... most probably because they don't want others to wait in the cold for them. Imagine putting Hong Kong's weather in Finland, maybe things won't be the way it is now.

I went to London last week and a couple of my friends there told me that when London snows, everything stops and most people become handicapped. Drivers crash their cars and therefore cannot go to work/school/anywhere. Public transportation will be halted because they need to clear the snow first. People in London just could not function in the snow, because maybe the people and the city itself never put much effort in running their city under the snow.

In a way, I applaud how the Fins lead their lives in such weather. I believe they can endure hardships. You might think that Hong Kong people are the hard-working ones, but wait till you see the Fins! Early in the morning, they need to get up in the dark and in the cold. Walking on the streets that are paved with snow aren't that easy. Putting on and off clothes is another hassle they need to bear. And sometimes, when it is windy and snowy (and all I want is to stay at home), the Fins still continue doing what they do. I feel that no matter what happen, the Fins have a way of working around it. Aren't these people great? This is how I admire them.

Having said that Helsinki still works well under the snow, there are still some incidents that prove that the nature is powerful. When I return from the Helsinki Vantaa Airport to the Central Railway Station, it was snowing heavily and there was a tram accident. A tram went out of its track and blocked the entire driveway.



But mind you, Finnish drivers are so good in driving in the snow! My bus driver just squeeze into a narrow space and guide the bus right through the accident. No wonder there are so many famous Finnish rally drivers in the world, these snow-paved roads train them!

Good job Finland!

No comments:

Post a Comment