Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 106 Iceland volcanic eruption

I am so glad that I didn't make any traveling plans out of Finland at this time of the month. I was going to go to Paris to meet up with my sister, but decided that I shouldn't go because it will be too rush (if I go, I will only stay for 2 days max).

Lucky for me, I didn't make any traveling plans, but not so lucky for those who are still stuck somewhere. I heard that quite a lot of my fellow exchangers have their plans ruined because of this volcano.



Now more about this Iceland volcano. You know why we just call it "the Iceland volcano" and quite rarely do we hear the actual name of the volcano? well, it's because (I think), the name is quite hard to pronounce, it's called "Eyjafjallajokull". Now that's a tongue-twister, eh? [According to the Iceland embassy, it's pronounced as "AY-yah-fyah-lah-YOH-kuul"].

Not only the passengers, I don't think the airlines are too happy about this eruption either. According to the International Air Transport Association (IATA), airlines are going to lose as much as 200m USD a day as a result of the planes being grounded. Well, that's really too bad. The pharmaceutical companies aren't that happy either because they rely on air freight for the high-value and low weight of their products, so with no planes flying, their drugs cannot be delivered.

Seems like everyone's hurt by this volcanic eruption. Well, almost everyone, but not me (yet)!

1 comment:

  1. Can you collect or buy some ash and mail back home. I learnt that it is very fertile for
    plants, hope to save our plants at home.

    ReplyDelete