Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 84 Leaving for Riga!

It's not a generalization when I say that the majority of people in Hong Kong doesn't know about Riga. If you ask anyone about Riga back home, they would ask you, where the H. is that place? And then, when you say, it's in a country called Latvia, and I have been there, they will look at you in a weird way, and say, wow, you're brave.

Going to eastern European countries is not common back home. Why? I suspect that it's because it's close to Russia, so the common perception is those places are dangerous. And there wasn't a lot of "promotion" about those places in traveling agencies (maybe they are not the real money-makers). So Eastern European countries are left unexplored and somewhat neglected by us.

But seriously, coming from a person who has been on exchange for 84 days, I would say, don't judge a country by its rumors! Riga turns out to be a very attractive place!

We flew by Air Baltic at around 4pm on March 31st. The plane was amazingly small. It is as if it is a private jet, but cramped with a bus-load of people.

(Photo: This is how tiny the plane is. The height of the wheel only reaches my knees.)

(Photo: Look at the guy on the right, he doesn't seem very comfortable! Luckily, my Asian genes made me short. I bet if you pack a bunch of Asians on this plane, there's even room for soccer!)

(Photo: The view of Riga from the plane. I hope I didn't photograph any secret government military airfield! Too much spy movies!)

We arrived in Riga, happy that it was a very sunny day. We then made our way to Ieva's home by bus at the Central Station.

(Photo: This is the bus stop near Ieva's apartment.)

(Photo: Ieva!)

(Photo: We then had a lovely greek salad at Ieva's place!)

No comments:

Post a Comment