Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 88 Stockholm!

First thing I said to myself when the plane landed in Stockholm was, thank you thank you for the good weather. My feet were finally dry!



Blue sky, white clouds, bright sunlight... just the kind of weather I was hoping for!

Stockholm has a lot of islands, and each island is very much worth going because there are museums and other attractions on them.

First day in Stockholm, I decided that I should head to an island called Djurgården. I tried to stay as much time outdoors as possible so that I can enjoy the sun and the cool coastal breeze.



There were two museums in the island that I thought would be worth visiting, one was called Skanen, it says in the guidebook that it is the first ever open-air museum and another called the Vasa museum, which displays a gigantic 17th century ship.

(Photo: To be frank, I was a little disappointed about Skanen, turns out, it is more suitable for children and family strolling around.)

(Photo: Inside the Vasa museum. Oh man, that ship is huge!)

(Photo: This is the Nordic Museum. The outside is really grand!)

After the three museums, I decided that I have had enough of museum walking within a day and stroll from the island of Djurgården to the mainland Ostermalms (there is a bridge that links them).

Seriously, I think Stockholm is like the chill-est city I have ever visited in my life. No one here really rushes anywhere. Everyone is just holding their coffee, walking their dogs, sitting down by the coast, watching swans (yes, they have wild swans!)



They say that Stockholm is famous for its designs, so I headed to their design house, which was located in the basement of a huge department store.



As I was looking at the design stores, I passed by a church, and there was going to be a concert inside! I was so lucky that I passed by this Church at this very moment! I was dying to listen to some music in Stockholm!




This pretty picture concludes my first day in Stockholm. It was a really good day. Nice weather, dry shoes, dry socks, dry feet, cool breeze, nice museums.

3 comments:

  1. That's really nice! Esp. the dry feet part. I'm really dreading the wet feet I'd get from London's rain. Though at the moment I'm more worried about whether I can indeed go or not.
    Coffee and lake and leisurely walks. AND, wild swans! How can it be complete without wild swans? haha it's almost fairy tale like picture of retirement. I WANNA GO THERE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, we have to go there again, but without the mum-style tour guide thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That means you guys go without me.

    ReplyDelete