Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 12 Finnish's McDonald's: HESBURGER

Our Finnish language and culture class is on every Monday till 8pm, which is pretty late. Today was the first class and we were pretty much starving at the end of the class. We quickly left class and went hunting for food in Kamppi, the shopping district of Helsinki. We originally wanted to have pizza hut, but it was closed, so we opted for Hesburger.



Hesburger is commonly known in Finland as Hese, it is a fast-food chain based in Turku (the old capital of Finland, before Helsinki). It is also the largest Finnish hamburger restaurant chain, with a larger presence in the Finnish market than U.S.-based McDonald's. (GO HESE! DIE MCDONALD'S!)

(photo: Barbora thinks this burger is greasy-er than burgers in McDonald's, and I have to agree, the sauce was quite rich!)

I didn't want to eat so heavy for dinner, because I know I won't be doing much exercise, so I only had a cheeseburger, with no fries or drinks of course. It tasted pretty much like any fast-food hamburger chain. ARGH. globalization of McDonald's! well, at least this is not McDonald's, it's something Finnish!

3 comments:

  1. I think I may try this burger when I visit.
    Any China Town in Helsinki?
    Seeing all this snow, do you have a feeling
    that you are living in refrigerator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is a CHina Town here, but there is an Asian market here. I am going to check it out maybe next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow seems like ure eating out a lot!
    just careful, u know how big those Finnish are! u probably half their size, --> half the daily kcal needed, hence, half their size portion!
    hv u cooked at ur dorm?

    ReplyDelete