Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 18 I JUMPED INTO THE ICY WATER! TWICE!

Jumping into the icy water did not happen on Day 18, but I feel that this is such an important event that I have to put it into a whole new another topic.

Yep, I did it! I jumped into the icy water! HELL YEA! I have seen people doing it before, I have seen those travelling channels showing it before. But I never really think I would actually do it, still, I did it and I am so freakishly proud of myself! BOOYA! I have a feeling that I am going to brag about it, er. like FOREVER in my life. Seriously, for those who haven't experienced below 10 degrees Celsius Hong Kong people, this is like a suicidal act. They will be so impressed by this, and I am seriously considering enlisting it into my resume. My resume would read: 23 Jan, 2010 Tanya Tse Jumped into icy water in Helsinki, Finland. Land temperature about -25 degrees Celsius.

So how did it happen?
Well, at about 12 am in the morning, we decided to go into the Sauna. So I went, along with like 20+ exchange students, crowding the Sauna room. Seriously, if you were there, you would have thought you were in a gas chamber or something, the Sauna was way too crowded. Then, after 20 mins or so, I felt that I couldn't take the heat anymore, and I ran all the way to the icy lake, they have already dug a hole near the lake, so I went into the water.

Surprisingly, it wasn't extremely cold, my feet however, were freezing. So numb that I couldn't really feel it as I ran back from the lake to the Sauna room.

Dissatisfied with the first experience of entering the water (because I thought it wasn't cold enough), I waited for a good long 15 mins, then I went again to the lake. This time, fully immersing my HEAD into the icy water. And that is DA REAL SHIT. You feel that you cannot really breathe because it was so shockingly cold. I think my adrenaline went high and I felt so good afterwards.

(photo: This is the icy water hole. They specifically dug it for people to jump into it after the Sauna. It was so slippery at the edge that I slipped like twice, and cut my foot =.=!!!)

(photo: I am so proud of myself! I think this is like a once-in-a-lifetime experience here, I am so glad that I did it!)

5 comments:

  1. Tanya, I am so proud of you jumping into icy water. You absolutely have the bragging right! You are now a Polar Bear club member. You now why I walk around HK in T-shirt during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, Life is really something when u experienced. Enjoy every moment snd regret
    no more after .
    Dad is proud of u

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wanna try that!!!
    not that i'm not in brain freeze most of the time these days

    question: why doesn't the water in the hole freeze at -20 degrees??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jac answer: when you remove the top layer of the ice, the water takes time to freeze again. So next morning, we went to see the hole again, and it froze!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good qestion Jac, I was thinking the hole was
    warmed by the sauna heat down there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete