Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 9 One of the best parties: Sitsi party!

We experienced a very traditional Nordic party, called the Sitsi party. Basically everyone sits at the table, eat, drink, laugh, talk, sing, drink, sing some more and drink (oh did I say drink already? sorry, yes, Finnish people drink A LOT.)

So that is what we did. We sat together in long tables, there was a toastmaster, basically like a MC (master of concert), telling people stuff to do, e.g. sing drinking songs, or kippins (cheers in Finnish). I heard from the party that this is the only Sitsi party that is opened to the exchange students, normally these parties only includes KY subs (my school's student union) and other local students, but not exchange students.

Well, one thing I did not mention, there is a DRESS CODE for this. We are all dressed in dollar-green overalls. From what I heard, overalls are like, well, if you want to put it this way, like tracksuits for different schools, each school must have a different colour of overalls. And Helsinki School of Economics has it dollar-green. You can decorate your overalls whatever you like, e.g. sew badges onto it, and in order to get the badges, you need to join in events.

(photo: well, this is me, in my dollar-green overalls, this overall costs like 22 Euros, but I think it is really worth it, because it is unique here!)

(photo: this is us, sitting on long tables, ready for the party!)

(photo: Since exchange students were there, different nationalities had to perform something. I was a little upset when they call China, and not Hong Kong. humph... I guess we are part of China, but still, would be nice if someone calls us Hong Kong! Anyways, those nationalities stand up on their chairs and perform! Well, guess what we performed? yup that's right, "Under the Lion Rock!")

I am heading to Estonia this weekend, so I might have to blog this Sunday. Please don't miss me that much.

2 comments:

  1. Tanya, thanks for updating your blog so early
    in the morning. Dad N I both think that you
    are having a good time there so far. one question, i wonder how many exchange from HK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. none of the other exchange students were in dollar green! thats a greedy colour :p
    Now u know all the Finnish drinking songs u can join the real parties, yeh?
    Haha, Finnish drink a LOT. that's why half ur blog entries contain alcohol contents. :p any special Finnish drink?

    ReplyDelete