Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 3 The city that never sleeps

I was taking the bus at 1:30 am in the morning back to our dormitory, when I realized that the city centre Kamppi is still very much alive. We all say that Hong Kong is a city that never sleeps, well, it is not alone, Kamppi Helsinki never sleeps as well. At 1 am, the bus was almost full, we passed by clubs/ pubs/ bars, which were loaded with people inside. And for some reason, with the chilly wind and unpleasant weather environment, I felt safe (or maybe it's just because I was traveling with someone else back to the dormitory).

Today the tutors took the exchange groups to city centre, and had a really exciting sight-seeing tour. The program started at 2: 30 pm, but I went to the city centre alone 2 hours early to get the general sense of direction of the city centre, Kamppi. I was fiddling with the map, and struggling to find the way, when a man approached me, with a "GUIDE" badge on his chest. He was a guide for tourists. He was extremely kind, showed me the best pharmacy, the stationary shop, the place to get sim cards, where to shop, the bank, the post-office, and basically the general sense of direction. I was so grateful!


(photo: Seriously? this strange religion, being banished from China, promotes their religious beliefs in Helsinki. I think it is ridiculous.)


(photo: although we don't get much sunlight here, everyday is guaranteed blue skies, and when it is morning at around 9 am and 3 pm, the sky is especially pretty, blue with a redish/ purple-ish shade highlighting. So pretty!)


(photo: this is how many exchange students we have!)


(photo: I carry the survival guide everyday. Why? for survival. but I think I left it somewhere today. ARGH.)


(photo: Barbora. A lomo-photographer!)


(photo: at the Olema Club.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh god, those fat Lun gong drives me nuts. Hate their guts!!
    Haha out in a club on the third day! Who knows this snow city has so much night life. Or maybe it's just at the weekends.
    Dad got an iPhone. So hilarious. Mom said it was like buying a sportscar and only go forwards n reverse in a carpark. Haha wish u were here to see him struggle!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I heard the news too. It's actually quite funny to see Dad using iphone. Well, I hope he does not only use it to call or answer calls, or else it would be an extremely expensive phone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jac. You may want to help your dad to install iTune and teach him how to download/use iPhone apps such as stock quotes, news articles, songs/music. Without that, he is bounded to use iPhone for calling only and it will be a BIG waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, Tanya and her iPhone!! I still remember the day she showed me her new fancy phone... WOW so many functions..

    Good luck, Uncle!

    ReplyDelete