Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 10 Helsinki's shenzhen: Tallinn, Estonia.

My 10th day on exchange and I left Helsinki to celebrate this important anniversary. I went to Tallinn, the capital and the largest city in Estonia. It took us about 3 hours to travel by sea to this place. The general impression of Tallinn is much like Hong Kong-ers' relationship with Shenzhen. For those who are not familiar with Shenzhen, it is a place where a lot of Hong Kong people go to get cheap stuff/ fake LVs/ inexpensive spending. In Tallinn's case, people in Helsinki travel there to get cheap booze, cigarettes and other things.

(photo: I originally thought we would be travelling in small yachts, much like going to Macau on those water-jets, but nope, it was a full-sized cruise. I looked outside the sea and it was pretty much all frozen, the boat cracked the ice as we went. I thought it was really scary, imagine if I fell into the water, I would have absolutely NO chance of staying alive.)

(photo: Don't be fooled by my seemingly relaxed smile there. It was actually windy and freezing out there! But the view was really pretty, so I thought I should take a photo of myself.)

(photo: I am not kidding, it was a full-sized cruise, with slot machines everywhere and restaurants.)

(photo: This is the street of Tallinn. Imagine a moderate-width pavement with mildly coloured short buildings along both sides. Now, imagine about 100+ streets like this. Well, there you go, That is Tallinn. Almost everywhere is seen like this. But there are also some attractions, such as the old town wall and catholic churches.)

(photo: this is the old town wall. It is quite pretty, we took so much photos on the outside, because the wall was closed when we got there. But we went there the next day.)

(photo: this is where we stayed. It was a hostel called the Tallinn's backpackers. It was really a nice place! The bathroom especially was really properly furnished and it was much much much better than the bathroom in my apartment!)

2 comments:

  1. wow
    even in ur picture the snow seems very chaarn ngaan. shouldn't u be wearing sunglasses?

    argh 10 days and u're so bored with Finnland that u hv to go to another country already?? better visit everywhere snail speed, u still hv 5 months to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, snail speed it is then ... even if you don't everything snail speed, you are forced to do it snail speed, because I guess people here take their time in doing things.

    ReplyDelete