Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 64 How to do case studies right?

Business cases, ah, business cases ... After all those intensive Harvard business case studies that I had in last two semesters (no kidding, 1 case analysis write-up per week and sometimes more), I still cannot say for certain that I know how to do them right.

The thing about case studies is, they are case studies. No two case are the same, and there is not just one but multiple evaluation methods that you can use. There is always one main point about a case that once you found it and you crack it, then you solve everything. But there are also little details in the case that gives you hints that some solutions will work, and some methods won't.

Also one thing about evaluating a case is, it is so much different from the theories that we learnt. Sure you know the financial ratios, you memorize the formula, but the problem is, you have to make assumptions, evaluate these assumptions, and then find the correct data, or the most logical ones, and plug them into those formulas.

I am currently doing a case study for my Advanced Corporate Finance course about the comic company, Marvel. Marvel was in financial distress in the 90s and had to file for chapter 11 and later on a restructuring plan was proposed. This Advanced Corporate Finance course is my 3rd Finance course I have ever taken in my life and to be frank, I am struggling a bit with the income statements and the balance sheets. The thing is, I cannot properly link my "limited" financial knowledge to evaluating Marvel, and I am not sure which ratios I am supposed to do so I can properly evaluate the restructuring plan.

I am quite disappointed at myself, really, because I thought I won't have much problems after all those case studies that I did in the past. But still, I am glad that they use business cases here because I think it will make me learn. Plus the Professor knows what he is doing so I am looking forward to some high quality case analysis tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment