Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 80 Easter is coming!

Europeans and probably some other cultures go wild in Easter! For me (and probably most of the people back home), Easter means holiday, which also means that I get a rest from work and school, probably your friends from UK, US and elsewhere return to HK for their breaks and you get to hang with them, and you can plan your little Thailand getaway.

But here in Helsinki, people do take Easter seriously. For starters, they actually have Easter eggs. And I'm not talking about those kinder-chocolate tin-foil wrapped egg shaped chocolate, I am talking about Chocolate eggs, with real egg shells, but chocolate inside. I would imagine there is a professional egg sucker in the factory taking all the liquid egg white and yolk out of the shell, I would recommend that person to check his cholesterol...

In my Finnish class, my teacher also said that in Easter here, there will be children running around and blessing you on the street by hitting you with a twig 3 to 4 times. Quite unbelievable, but it seems true.

Oh and what's really wonderful is, Easter also calls for some high-calorie pastries. Apparently in the past, Finnish people go on a fast for a month or so before Easter, and so, during Easter, they need to eat high-calorie pastries to re-nourish themselves. Nowadays, the fast is gone, but the pastries, haha, still there! Quite amazing really.

Okay, time for me to experience some real Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment