Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 74 Someone pour Slushie all over Helsinki

One thing about living through the transition period of winter and summer here in Helsinki is, everyday you have to be mentally prepared that you will slip and fall on the melting ice and snow on the streets.

3 months here and I have slipped and fell more times on the street than I ever do in 1 year back in Hong Kong. On average, the magnitude of slipping and falling is moderate, meaning, not everyday do I have my rear-end on the ground, but almost everyday I have to pull myself up from the ground using my palms. One possible reason is that I have to walk on a slope everyday to go from my apartment to the bus-stop, and they don't clear the ice/snow often in the small alleyway near my building (since it is not like the main road).

Especially now it is the snow-melting period, it's like someone pour Slushie all over the streets of Helsinki.



The roads are a bit hard to walk on, not only do you need to skip through puddles, you also need to maintain your balance when walking on the dangerously slippery ice/snow. But I am mentally prepared for this, well, not really, I just assume that I will fall.

5 comments:

  1. your pants cannot be too long or they will be soaked and heavy all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to see the real Helsinki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hope that when I get back from my easter break, every bit of the melting snow will be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the downside of pure white snow. when the pretty cold snowy winter is gone, dirty snow is everywhere and they stay for some time if the temperature does not go up fast enough! On the other hand, as soon as snow is gone, beautiful spring time is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete