Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 78 MW Petroleum corp case

I am currently doing another case for my risk and derivatives class, and I find it fascinating using different kinds of methods to evaluate a project.

The case I am doing is a Harvard Business Case on MW Petroleum corporation. In a nutshell, it is about Amoco trying to sell its subsidiary MW petroleum to another company called Apache, they are natural resources companies so to value the acquisition price, I need to use real options approach to value each reserve that has the option to be delayed.

To a certain extent, I think that I learnt a lot from this case. Reason is that this is one of those cases which you are not required to bullshit strategies for the corresponding companies, i.e. no Michael Porter's 5 forces or anything like that. This is solid calculations and some assumptions, it is also one of the cases which I have to use all of the extra info, i.e. balance sheet, income statements, in the appendices.

One thing I find about this school is, what you learn in class is not what is expected of you in exercise sets and sometimes, you have to learn ahead of yourself to finish the assignments before they properly teach you. I guess that's because it is a Master's course and they don't baby-feed you anymore. I quite like this approach because sometimes you learn more and you read the extra stuff. And then, when they actually teach you in class, you are only revising and eliminating the extras that you learn, and you get the big picture.

I am quite surprised that I am actually learning here. I thought, before I go for exchange, that I wouldn't do much studying here, and I would just "hea" my way through. But the courses are really interesting here that you cannot "resist" to learn ... oh gosh, I sound like a nerd ...

2 comments:

  1. it would be great if u could use the knowledge
    in real world in future in family investment.Keep it up and show me how to apply it later.
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe.. okok! I don't mind being in charge of ALL the $$$ at home so you can retire!

    ReplyDelete