Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 76 Kahvi, Finnish word for Coffee

Guess which country consume the most amount of coffee? USA? France? Italy? ALL WRONG! As it turns out, the Fins consume the most amount of coffee in the world! No wonder I learnt the world "Kahvi" (meaning coffee in Finnish) in my first Finnish language class!

Quite shocking really, I have always thought that the Americans are the largest coffee consumer in the world, hence, the chainstore Starbucks, but nope, Americans can't top the Fins.

So what is the daily drinking schedule like for the Fins you ask? According to my Finnish teacher, the Fins would wake up with a coffee, go to work, and have a coffee break or two. Then lunch accompanied by a coffee. Most people would then also get coffee after work, with colleagues. Then after or during dinner, coffee again.

The coffee here, according to my professional coffee taste-buds, is quite weak, no wonder they can drink up to 6 cups a day. And there are a lot of conversation starters related to coffee, according to my Finnish teacher, "Kahvi?" (might mean, consuming coffee, but other meanings, might include, I want to speak to you about something).

One speculation on why the Fins binge on their coffee is that, during the winter time, it is dark, from early to night, so people gets sleepy and they drink coffee to brighten up. And one thing I notice, practically no one sleeps on public transportation, I think the coffee is working for them!



According to my teacher, the most famous brand here is Presidentii. I think I will bring home some!

1 comment:

  1. US is quite far behind in coffee consumption but leading in consumer innovation with Starbuck! Likewise, China does not have the most tea consumption per capita.

    ReplyDelete